Friday 21 September 2012

Book Review - The Bad Beekeepers Club by Bill Turnbullrnbil


If you like Bill Turnbull, as I do, then I recommend you read this book. I have always enjoyed watching Bill on the news and as a strictly fan I loved seeing him dancing. He often talks about his bee keeping on breakfast and so when I saw this book at the library it was a must borrow.

Bill clearly writes that this is no technical manual, there are plenty of other books out there covering that aspect of bee keeping. This is more what not to do or at least what to try and avoid doing. He also talks about how bee keeping has crept into other aspects of his life such as being able to make vast amounts of money for charity just by auctioning single jars of honey and how his hives have suffered over busy periods of his life such as when he was on strictly come dancing.

My favorite thing about this book is how he talks about bee keeping fitting into what is already a busy family home. It is interesting to hear that he makes a mess of the kitchen when he process's the honey or that the extractor turn's into a piece of the furniture, when it is left in the corner of the room for so many months. Even though we are yet to get our hives I can already imagine us getting into some of the same pickles that he did when he started out. Hopefuly by reading this book we will avoid "The Bad Bee Keepers Club', but I do not doubt that at some point we will be reinacting some of Bill's faux pas, I just hope it is not the one where he has the bee in the bee suit with him!!!

It is a really light hearted book and Bill's character really shines through, I like the fact that although he name drops a little and mentions national institutions like Breakfast, Strictly and Mastermind, he comes across as a really lovely down to earth bee keeper! Can you really become a better person through keeping bees, I hope so!

Happy Reading
Hayley


No comments:

Post a Comment